No futuro os jogos com mundos persistentes irão alterar – já alteram – profundamente as sociedades. Mas não vale a pena ter uma visão apocalíptica do cenário, em A World of Warcraft World – 10 ways MMORPGs will change the future, podemos sorrir um pouco com o nosso futuro como jogadores… 🙂
“1. Everyone will look like a Greek god or goddess.
2. All will play in the same virtual world.
3. Someone will go to jail for stealing a Bonebiter.
4. You’ll meet someone who plays an MMORPG for a living.
5. They’ll take the “G” out of “MMORPG.”
6. You will find yourself momentarily forgetting whether you’re in the real or virtual world.
7. You’ll meet a couple who have been married for years and have never seen each other’s real-life faces.
8. There will be a branch of government to rule the virtual world.
9. There will be a whole class of wealthy people without a dime to their name.
10. The rise of the metaverse will go almost completely unopposed.”
A massively (or massive) multiplayer online role-playing game or MMORPG is a multiplayer computer role-playing game that enables thousands of players to play in an evolving virtual world at the same time over the Internet. MMORPGs are a specific type of massively multiplayer online game (MMOG).